Our most recent podcast is an exciting one. Markus Reinhardt is a bodybuilder and an expert in High Intensity Training. He lived with and trained under Mike Mentzer, who many claim was robbed of a 1980 Mr. Olympia win by Arnold. You can download the Podcast at our SoundCloud page or click play below:
When he was a teenager he moved to California to train at Gold’s in Venice. He had $2,000 in his pocket. He paid for a two year membership at Gold’s and then he paid his first month’s rent. Or that’s what he thought. His rent money was stolen and Markus found himself with $50 in his pocket and no way to pay rent. What happened next is perhaps the subject of a future podcast.
As with our other podcasts, we cover a lot of information in a short period of time. The discussion can get a bit theoretical at time. Markus is big on theory and believes this background is essential. Markus is a personal friend. If you have more questions for him, post them. We’d be happy to have him on again to discuss HIT, training, bodybuilding subculture, or whatever you want to talk about.
(Technical note: Markus and I speak in a lower volume than Jay does. I’ve edited the track to even out the volume, but there may still be some variability in decibels. We understand that it can be mildly annoying for the listener. We got a second microphone.)
Here’s what we talk with Markus Reinhardt about:
- What is High Intensity Training (HIT)?
- The muscle magazines say I need to do high volume training. Is that true?
- What does it actually mean to train to failure?
- What are two forces in your training that you need to eliminate?
- “Bodybuilding and building muscle is about contracting muscle fiber to their highest possibly ability. It’s not about lifting weights, it’s about contracting fibers.”
- How do you maximally contract muscle fibers?
- How is lifting weights like sun tanning?
- Why are injuries so common in combat sports like MMA and BJJ?
- Would HIT work for combat athletes?
- What is a sample HIT workout for an average person and an experienced trainee?
- What’s the best type of training and dieting for fat loss?
- How many calories should you eat while bulking…or should you “bulk” at all?
- Do bodybuilders like Markus have “fake muscles” because they don’t lift “heavy enough” weights?
- How many years does it take to attain your full muscular development?
- What’s the best diet – high carb, low carb, Paleo, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM)?
- What’s the difference between sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy?
Contact Markus Reinhardt
If you’re visiting Las Vegas, you can train with Markus. He also does online consults (and for our German readers, yes, he speaks German fluently). Check out Mr. High Intensity.
Here’s an example of HIT in action:
Excuse the cheesy background music. That was the style of those old bodybuilding training videos.
Comments? Questions? Subjects you’d like to see covered in future podcasts?
Post them below. We read every comment and always work your questions into our podcasts.
Want to hear more? There are several more Danger & Play Podcasts.