Yes, it’s possible to have energy first thing in the morning even if you haven’t eaten or had a sip of coffee and especially if you’re not a morning person. In the latest installment of 10 Ways by Mike Cernovich, you’ll learn how to have more energy first thing in the morning, how to warm up your brain, and how to feel good even if you’re just getting out of bed.
- I drink a lot of strong coffee – probably more than average. I save my coffee until after my body is awake and alert. This is the difference between using caffeine as a performance enhancing drug (which is it) v. being a junkie.
I filmed this video first thing in the morning. Meta.
1. Get out of the terrible, bad, deadly habit of waking up to an alarm clock.
Waking up to an alarm clock disrupts your body’s natural sleep cycle. It causes stress hormones like cortisol to be released.
We tend to sleep in 90 minute cycles. We have light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep. Ideally you wake up after a full cycle has been completed. Interrupting your REM sleep has deadly effects on your health.
- How to wake up without an alarm clock?
Drink 32 ounces of water before bed. You’ll wake up to take a piss after cycling through your sleep cycle. Do not go back to bed. Stay awake, be tired during the day, and then fall asleep earlier than usual.
After a few days of this habit, your body will begin to adjust and you’ll wake up on your terms.
You can also try out the sleep cycle alarm clock, which is an app for your smart phone. (I’ve never used it. Have you?)
2. Get right out of bed.
As Sir Isaac Newton explained, “Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion.”
If you start moving, you’ll develop momentum to carry you throughout your morning. This is basic physics.
3. Take a cold shower or contrast shower.
4. Brush your teeth with a Spry mint or cinnamon toothpaste.
Aroma therapy works, and getting some aroma via toothpaste is one of those things the cool kids call “life hacks.”
Most toothpaste has sodium lauryl sulfate, a foaming agent that gives many people (myself included) canker sores. Spry has no such foaming agent, it kills the nasty bacteria in your mouth, and wakes you up.
5. Drink 16-32 ounces of water.
Most people are chronically dehydrated without realizing it. A dehydrated body functions at 10-20% less efficiency.Water also helps caffeine circulate through your bloodstream. More water equals a stronger buzz from coffee.
- How much water should you drink in the morning?
If your urine is bright or dark yellow, drink 32 ounces of water.
If it’s clear, drink 16 ounces of water.
If it’s somewhere in between, drink 24 ounces of water.
6. Perform the Gorilla Abundance brain warm-up.
- The brain warm-up is here, and is also discussed in Gorilla Mindset.
7. Elevate your feet for some push-ups.
Get blood rushing to your brain and you’ll be smarter, more alert, and have better balance.
Here is another morning routine I perform. My routines vary. Find one that works for you.
8. Say your mantra.
Gorilla Mindset teaches you how to create your own mantra. Here is mine:
- “I open myself up to the universe and all of its possibilities.”
Does the universe really “care” about me, or am I simply reframing my ability to deal with the challenges and opportunities of life? (Hint: Who cares? It works.)
9. Make funny facial expressions.
You’re not that cool. Stop being so serious.
Smiling signals to your body that you are happy.
Keep lying to yourself with mantras and facial expression changes and you’ll eventually believe it.
(Be sure to tell yourself the right lies.)
10. Perform the Gorilla Abundance posture pose.
While performing the Gorilla Abundance posture, I repeat my mantra.
“I open myself up to the universe and all of its possibilities.”
How do you wake up first thing in the morning?
Post your comments below.
P.S. If you’re new here, you can learn more ways to control your thoughts in emotions in my best-selling book – Gorilla Mindset. (There’s even an audio edition, which you can download for free if you’re not already an Audible subscriber. You can grab the audiobook here.)