In the latest Danger & Play Podcast, I talk about the law. The standard disclaimer applies: I am a lawyer, but not your lawyer.
In the podcast I cover:
- How can you tell if someone is a real lawyer or a fake lawyer?
- What direction do I see the law heading?
- How can you mitigate the legal risks of marriage?
- “My credit is garbage. Now what?”
How to tell if someone is a real lawyer.
- A fake lawyer will talk theory, not costs.
- No concept of discovery and costs of litigation.
- They don’t understand human psychology and the art of story telling.
- Lawsuits aren’t just about raising claims and defenses.
- It’s about the human need to right a wrong.
- Money or justice?
- A real lawyer can balance legal claims and defenses with psychology and business of lawsuits.
- “Mike would lose his case!”
- OK, but what if I like litigation?
- What if I want to make your life hell because I don’t like you?
- Could I sue as a marketing strategy?
- Could I bring a John Doe lawsuit against you because you’re stalking me? What if all I really want is your real name so I can post your information online?
- That’s real lawyering vs. someone who went to law school or read a case summary online.
Where is the future of law heading?
- Everything is a crime. Overcriminalization.
- Check out Go Directly to Jail: The Criminalization of Almost Everything (Amazon).
- Everything is regulated.
- Then the real powers come to you at The Meeting.
- That’s why you can’t be mad at Obama who promised change.
- They have videos of you doing everything.
- They can also plant stuff on your computer.
- Cars are computerized. They can hack your car and kill you.
Balancing legal risks of marriage with real life.
- The legal risks of marriage rarely outweigh the benefits.
- There’s no point to mess with marriage unless you want a family.
- “How to Pick the Right Wife.”
- Let her call you your wife.
- Give her a ring.
- Put her in your will.
- Get a life insurance policy out.
- Avoid common law marriage risk.
- If she quits her job to raise your children, then fund a 401k/Roth IRA.
- Hire her as an employee. All of the money will go into her retirement account and her gains will be tax free until she withdraws them. But that’s another story.
- That’s in her name. Her money.
- Can’t take last name on her passport, though.
- Legal marriage is something she earns.
- Maybe after 5 or 10 years, you give her legal marriage.
- She’ll get child support. Sure. Any bar slut you knock up gets that.
- She won’t get alimony.
- Yes, a judge can bake alimony into child support, but it will be less.
- Why does she need legal marriage? All she loses is the right to alimony.
- Any girl who demands legal marriage is already thinking about divorce.
- On matters of the heart, you balance heart and head.
- If you walk out on her, she will be taken care of.
- But you won’t be liable to a court and she won’t be able to extort you.
- She is held accountable and you are held accountable.
- That is what real marriage is supposed to be about.
How to improve your credit.
- Get free credit report at Annual Credit Report. Free Credit Report.com is a scam.
- Challenge everything.
- Write letters.
- They have 30 days to respond.
- If they don’t respond, it has to be removed.
- Bury them in paper.
- It’s more effective to send letters than dispute online.
- Make it hard for them to prove their case.
- I hired a firm in 2005 called Lexington Law Firm.
- Let me see if they have an affiliate marketing program. If you’re doing to sign with them, wait for me to post a link! It won’t cost you extra. I’ll just get a commission out of what you’d have had to pay them, anyway.
- UPDATE: Here’s the affiliate link to Lexington Law Firm.
Post your comments and questions for future podcasts below.